Create your own 3D map in this tutorial and introduction to Blender. Learn the basics skills to get satellite data, topographic data and CSV data into Blender to create your own eye-popping 3D map of any place on the globe.
Preparation for the workshop:
- Come with an open mind ready to enjoy the playful learning process of 3D
- Download and install the free software Blender, our main tool
- Create a free account at OpenTopography so that we can use high quality topography data automatically with the API key and an addon.
- Download the folder with the BlenderGIS addon
- Bring your laptop AND LAPTOP CHARGER
- BRING A MOUSE (it is not mandatory, but it makes work 10 times easier)
Download and install Blender before the workshop
In this workshop we will be working with Blender which is a free and open-source 3D computer graphics software tool set used for creating animated films, visual effects, art, 3D printed models, motion graphics, interactive 3D applications, virtual reality, video games, and with this workshop MAPS and 3D DATA VISUALISATION
- Please make sure to download it for free here BEFORE the workshop starts: https://www.blender.org/download/
- And Install it.
- Create an OpenTopography account to get Topography data (elevation data) automatically with the BlenderGIS addon.
- Follow instructions and validate your account with your email
- Request an API Key
- Copy / Save API Key for the workshop
Download the free BlenderGIS addon
It is a free Blender addon to make the bridge between Blender and geographic data, like importing satellite, OpenStreetMap, elevation and other types of data.
- Go to https://github.com/domlysz/BlenderGIS and simply download this zip folder from the link and save it somewhere you will remember (e.g. Desktop), we will install the addon in blender during the workshop.
- Click “Code”
- Click “Download ZIP”